|10 year government bond yield||2.05%|
|30 year fixed rate mortgage||4.08%|
Stocks are up this morning after Mr. Softee beat earnings estimates. Bonds and MBS are up small.
Signs of a recession? Not really. The Conference Board’s Index of Leading Economic Indicators was flat at -.3% in June, while the markets were expecting an uptick. “The US LEI fell in June, the first decline since last December, primarily driven by weaknesses in new orders for manufacturing, housing permits, and unemployment insurance claims,” said Ataman Ozyildirim, Senior Director of Economic Research at The Conference Board. “For the first time since late 2007, the yield spread made a small negative contribution. As the US economy enters its eleventh year of expansion, the longest in US history, the LEI suggests growth is likely to remain slow in the second half of the year.”
New York Fed Head John Williams sent bond yields lower yesterday when his prepared remarks to an academic conference were released. They said: “Take swift action when faced with adverse economic conditions” and “keep interest rates lower for longer” when you do cut rates.” The markets immediately took this as an endorsement for a 50 basis point cut when the Fed meets next week. A spokesman from the NY Fed clarified that comment later, saying that he was referring to studies based on 20 years of monetary policy and was not referring to the FOMC meeting next week. A cut next week is pretty much expected, and the only question is whether it will be 25 or 50 basis points.
After Williams’ comments, the Fed Funds futures actually started handicapping a 70% chance for a 50 basis point cut and only a 30% chance of a 25 basis point cut. They had previously been forecasting a 25% chance for a 50 basis point cut. They ended up settling on 40% chance. There is some more Fed-speak today, and then they will enter the quiet period ahead of next week’s meeting.
FHFA Director Mark Calabria says the Trump Administration should be releasing a plan to deal with Fannie and Freddie sometime in August or September.